Gerðarsafn is a progressive art museum that specialises in modern and contemporary art. Located in an elegant building in the centre of Kópavogur, the second largest community in Iceland with 31.000 inhabitants. The museum was founded in the memory of sculptor Gerður Helgadóttir (b. 1928), a pioneer of modern sculpture in Iceland. She is also known for her mosaics and stained glass, including the windows of the nearby Kópavogur Church.
The museum houses important collections of works by Barbara Árnason (b. 1911), Magnús Á. Árnason (b. 1894) and Valgerður Briem (b. 1914). The private collection of Þorvaldur Guðmundsson and Ingibjörg Guðmundsdóttir which includes many treasures of twentieth century Icelandic art is now in custody the Kópavogur Art Museum.
Apart from exhibitions of its own collection the museum mainly exhibits works by Icelandic artists. The museum hosts around 10 exhibitions annually. There are three exhibition halls in the museum. Two on the upper floor with overhead lighting; while the third, a multipurpose hall, is on the lower floor.
The museum store offers great pieces based on the works of Gerður and was the first store of its kind to open in Iceland.
|Opening hours||Week days:||Saturdays:||Sundays:|
|Closed on Mondays.|
Address: Hamraborg 4 202 Kópavogur
Open all year round.