In 874, Vífill and Karli, slaves of the first settler Ingólfur Arnarson, found his high sea pillars, in a bay under Arnarhóll in Reykjavík. Ingólfur settled there, together with his wife Hallgerður Fróðadóttir. The slave Karli ran away with a maid and they were later found at Reykir in Ölfus. Vífill was freed and built a farm at Vífilsstaðir, south of Reykjavík.
In 1910, a hospital for tuberculosis patients was built on the land, the first in the country, designed by Rögnvaldur Ólafsson. Vífilstaðir was far from the inhabited area of Reykjavík then. A geriatric hospital is now being operated in Vífilsstaðir, which is now not far from the center of the capital area, a short distance from IKEA, the center of Garðabær and the outdoor areas at Vífilstaðavatn and Heiðmörk.
Garðabær 19/09/2022 : A7R IV – FE 1.2/50mm GM Photographs & text: Páll Stefánsson