A small stream, lake and mountain
Lyngdalsheiði lies between Þingvellir and Laugarvatn. The first road across the heath was laid in 1907, on the arrival of King Frederick VIII of Denmark, the so-called King’s Road. The road ran (and still does) from Reykjavík through Þingvellir and on over Lyngdalsheiði to Gullfoss and Geysir. On Lyngdalsheiði, there are quite a few caves; the best known are Laugavatnshellar, Tinton and Lambhellir. Tvíbotni (Two-bottomed) is the most magnificent, with two bottoms, as the name implies. It was discovered in 1985. The route through Lyngdalsheiði is now part of the Golden Circle, a popular and beautiful route.
Árnessýsla 07/11/2021 13:19 – A7R IV: FE 1.2 / 50mm GM
Photo and text: Páll Stefánsson