The two culture houses on Hverfisgata
The Culture House on Hverfisgata was built between 1906 and 1909 to house the National Library of Iceland, the National Archives of Iceland and the National Museum of Iceland.
The National Gallery of Iceland now operates the building, as the museums originally in the Culture House have received new and more suitable premises. The current exhibition in the house is “Fjársjóður Þjóðar” (“The Nation’s Treasures”), pearls of Icelandic art from the second half of the 19th century to the present day.
The National Theatre was opened in 1950, after being under construction since 1925, or for a quarter of a century. More than five million people have enjoyed performances in the National Theatre in the 70+ years since it opened. The house was designed by Guðjón Samúelsson almost a hundred years ago.
Reykjavík 11/09/2021 12:11: RX1R II: 2.0 / 35
Photo and text: Páll Stefánsson