Autumn has arrived in Akureyri
Next to Nonnahús in Akureyri, a museum in memory of the writer Jón Sveinsson (1857- 1944), Minjasafnakirkjan, built in 1846. The church was built on the other side of Eyjafjörður in Svalbarðseyri. It was moved to Minjagarðurinn in the centre of Akureyri and protected over half a century ago. There are two artefacts in the church, a chandelier from 1688 and an altarpiece by Jón Hallgrímsson from 1806. Mass is held in Minjakirkjan twice a year, at Christmas and Easter. The church is considered typical of Icelandic rural timber churches built in the middle of the last century.
Akureyri 19/10/2021 08:44 – A7R IV: FE 1.4 / 24 GM
Photo and text: Páll Stefánsson