The property was sold in 1934 to Christian Christensen, a Dane who settled in Iceland in 1931 with his Icelandic wife Ólöf Ólafsdóttir. They kept ten cows, and sold the milk, which was delivered to people’s homes by horse-cart. Christensen subsequently operated an abattoir, a smokery and a meat shop on the farm. The farm buildings were demolished in 1965.
In 1946 the Reykjavík municipal authorities purchased the land, which was used in 1948-58 as allotments where children grew vegetables during the summer holidays. The idea of creating a public park first arose in the late 1950s, and was put into practice a decade later.
The park was designed by landscape architect Reynir Vilhjálmsson. Designed in a modern style, the garden was influenced by Nordic trends. Klambratún Park is a popular place for outdoor activities and social gatherings. Open-air concerts and other events have been held there.
Kjarvalsstaðir, the gallery of the Reykjavík Art Museum, named after the famous Icelandic painter Jóhannes S. Kjarval, opened in the park in 1973.
The name of Klambratún Park was changed to the grander Miklatún Park (“Great Park”) in 1964. The original name was restored in 2010.