Einar Jónsson was the first Icelandic sculptor. While studying in Denmark, he put up his first exhibition there in 1901 called “Outlaws”. He also worked and studied in Rome before moving back to Iceland.
The museum was designed by Einar Erlendsson and the building of the house started in 1916 and in 1921, the building got its first artworks. The museum opened 23rd of June, 1923.